Certain residents and non-residents of Minnesota may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions.
1. Must be at least 21 years of age
2. Must complete an application form
3. Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
4. Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
5. Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
6. Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor and completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)
1. Completed application
2. Copy of your training certificate
3. Copy of your driver’s license
4. State ID Card or Passport photo
5. Application Fee
The fee for a new permit to carry will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $100. A fee for a renewal permit (applied for before the expiration date of a current permit to carry) will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $75. An additional $10.00 fee will be charged for those applying for a renewal after the expiration date on the previous permit, but within 30 days of that expiration date.
Permit Issued Timeline:
The county sheriff must either issue or deny a permit within 30 days of the application date.
Permit Valid For:
New and renewal permits are valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance. Emergency permits are valid for 30 days.
Permits must be renewed at the county sheriff’s office in the county where the applicant currently resides. Out of state permit holders can renew at any sheriff’s office. Not prior to 90 days of the expiration date of the current permit. The maximum renewal gun permit fee will be $75.00.
After the expiration date, but within 30 days after the expiration, you can renew your permit by paying an additional late fee of $10.00. During this time your past permit is not valid, and you will not be able to carry until your renewal permit has been approved and issued.
31 days after expiration, you will no longer be able to renew your permit, but will have to apply for a new gun permit. The maximum gun permit fee will then be $100.00.
1. Take an authorized firearms training class within one year or your renewal application.
2. Deliver the application packet, not prior to 90 days of the expiration date of the current permit, in person to the Sheriff’s Department in the county where you currently reside, or for out of state permit holders, to any Sheriff’s Department in the State of Minnesota.
3. The packet must contain a completed application, signed and dated http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/Forms/Documents/CarryApplication100106.pdf with the renewal box checked and an original certificate of completed authorized firearms training. You must present a current drivers license, state identification card or the photo page of your passport (not a US citizen but permanent resident must present an I-551 or I-151 card).